Monday, February 25, 2008

Halo 3 Wal-Mart Exclusives Review



Well, I was lucky enough to find the Wal-Mart exclusive Halo 3 figures yesterday and I thought I'd share some photos. Trust me, you will be able to get these figures into a lot more poses than I have. And when we get some more weapons, there are going to be some monster diorama scenes you can make.



Let's get this started.

Mark VI (Blue)



CQB (Blue)



Both of these Spartan Soldiers have the same base body. The differences are the swappable armor pieces that come on both and the colored striping. They're both ridiculously poseable. I'm still coming up with poses to try. The package says that they're 18 POA. I think that underplays the poseability. Some joints have multiple ranges, such as the double jointed toes that get vertical and horizontal movement. That allows these figures to stand when most figures would be toppling all over the place. Ladies and gentlemen, McFarlane Toys did articulation and did it well.

The sculpts are really good. They're solid, and even this scale there's detail more to them than the vastly larger Joyride figures. The amount of detail blows GI-Joe and Star Wars out of the water and brings McFarlane's well-known hyper-realism to a smaller size. The size is stuck between the 3 3/4" and 6" scale. It's not quite 5" scale since the Chief is pegged at 5" so it's actually on the smaller end of 1:17th scale. Either way, the Mark VI retains that stealthy, solid look that we know and love while the CQB offers a larger, more brutal and intimidating looking heavy soldier. I dig both looks and thank Bungie for coming up with the permutations and McFarlane for making them customizable.

The paint isn't bad. It isn't fantastic either. The metallic schemes work well but there's slop here and there and this isn't your typical McFarlane paint scheme. For $10-12 you expect better. Speaking of that, the accessories are a bit light as well. A couple pegs for the weapons, a single grenade and an assault rifle. Like I said earlier, the weapons will allow for vastly more looks to your Spartans once they expand the pool.

These figures have a solid play factor, sick poseability and are an amazing buy. If you can get them at Wal-Mart, which is the only place you will find them in this blue paint scheme, they'll run you about $9.63 before tax.

If you're a size queen, you will have problem with these figures. If you love a solid, well done toy or Halo, these will rock your face off. I've been messing arounde with them for hours and now I'm freaking out waiting for my set to come in from Spawntoys.com and that should be on Wednesday at which point I'll show you the rest of the figures.

But Avi, you have a Master Chief with a Plasma Pistol in one of your photos. Well, that's true. But he's not mine and neither is the Grunt. A buddy of mine stopped over and was showing them to me so I snapped a quick photo while I had a chance. Wednesday is way, way too far away.

Keep this in mind when you go out to look for them. There are two case packs at Wal-Mart. All of them come with the same number of Master Chiefs, Cortanas (1), Jackal Snipers and Brute Chieftans. The differences in the cases are the single packed Grunt and the Spartan Soldiers.

Case 1:
Green Grunt
Red Mark VI
Blue Mark VI

Case 2:
Orange Grunt
Red EVA
Blue CQB

Oh, that's right. The swappable armor. The chest armors are secured by 4 pegs, the shoulder armors are secured by a single peg and the head is a double ball-joint which can easily be removed and all of it can be switched. Right now, that's not very appealing unless you want to mix a piece here or there or swap a head. Well, I guess you could do a full repaint and swap, too. As we get more Spartans with more armor varaiations in these colors it will make creating your own Spartan just as fun as in the game. Kudos to McFarlane for making this possible.

Good luck picking them up, and have fun guys. They're great toys.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i found them all at wal-mart today and they're pretty shibby little figures.

Anonymous said...

I want accessory packs soooooooooooooo badly now.

Thanks for the review, the look sick.

Anonymous said...

I miss JoyRide. This McFarlane stuff is half the figure for the same price as JoyRides! McFarlane is really sucking it now. What happened?

Avi said...

I'm going to have to seriously disagree. These have more detail and more articulation. There's actually paint on the figure rather than molded plastic and I was able to get them at $10 rather than the $15-17 you had to pay IF you could even find them.

These are way more fun ajd a far better value.

Anonymous said...

just got the gamestop exclusive, definately prefer it over the halo2 figs. may be smaller scale but much more impressive. the detail and articulation is great! now if only my local walmarts would get the rest instock

Anonymous said...

Where did you guys find them at in the stores. I've looked and couldnt find where they might be.

Avi said...

I've been hearing 3 places. There's either going to be an endcap display at the front of the action aigure aisle or in the electronics department hidden in the middle of that section

The 3rd place is right on the pegs or shelves inside the action figure aisle.

I found mine on the pallets and one of the employees cracked open all 5 cases for me and I only took 1 set of the Blues and I haven't seen them stocked yet.



Content Copyright 2008 ToyPit Message Board. All Right Reserved. Other Content Copyright And Trademark Thier Respective Owners.
Google